Saturday 21 July 2012

Summer in the city

I was delighted to receive a cheering text on Friday from my daughter-in-law (who resides in bonny Scotchland) - school's out for summer - a celebration of the prospect of six weeks to hope for better weather, i.e. much less rain and much more sun. Yes, indeed, the summer holidays have started as has the summer reading.

I am refusing to think of the horrors of moving the school library from its old home - two former technical rooms - into a spanking new block. The books and shelves have made the transition, albeit unpacked but we may not do anything with them until September. Sadly, all our other bits and bobs have gone awol ... Lost in the abyss of the old gym, the hall, somewhere behind the bike sheds. Who knows.


So, thinking positively, summer reading. I intend to read as many new books for children and young adults as possible whilst also keeping up with a goodly amount of adult novels.
Today, I have just finished Team Human by Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Rees Brennan and jolly good it was too. It's set in contemporary USA and its characters are vampires, humans and zombies. However despite there being something of a lurve story there is also mystery, intrigue and an exploration of friendship that had me engrossed. I even put aside my Saturday crossword in order to finish it. I forgot to mention that it avoids having a feeble heroine, a tedious love triangle and sparkles with wit and humour.

I've read several books by Justine Larbalestier* (and enjoyed them all very much) but none yet by Sarah Rees Brennan, something I shall rectify over the holidays.


*LiarHow To Ditch Your Fairy, and the Magic Or Madness Trilogy

No comments:

Post a Comment