Wednesday 4 April 2012

After the Snow





I have to admit that this cover really caught my attention, as to the story - it seemed to be a typical misery dystopian future. Then I read it.

First of all, S. D. Crockett has a tremendous gift for description. From mountain to grotty encampment, I was there and could see it in my mind's eye.

Now, to the story which was not run of the mill nor dull. I was gripped by Willo's efforts to survive and found his dialect an important part of his characterisation, not an irritant (as can sometimes happen e.g. as in Billy Dean.)

His memories of other characters filled them out and, even though unseen, they became vital and real.

This will not make my Y7 Incoming list but I shall be promoting it to anyone else who will listen. Why not for the list? It's possibly a bit daunting - 307 pages with some harrowing detail and I don't know these students yet. Once I do, I'm sure somebody in the group of 300+ will be up for it.

Another factor is the price. I try to recommend paperbacks. This is a hardback costing £12.99. Not a lot to some but it is for many, especially if you have to kit someone out for high school as well as provide for siblings.

Could that be one reason why libraries have always been important ...?

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment