Friday 16 March 2012

Life: An Exploded Diagram vs Nothing

The judge for this post is Ms Mayes.

Mal Peet has created a strong narrative voice in the character of Clem Ackroyd. You are immediately drawn into his world, one which spans the years from 1945-2001; from his birth - brought on by an explosive burst of gunfire from a Spitfire, to the destruction of the Twin Towers. Along the way, Clem's life is punctuated by a number of other, notable explosions. We travel from rural Norfolk to metropolitan London and New York.

The novel is funny, sad, exciting and tense. There is young,forbidden love and the tormenting loss of that love. It is beautifully written, historically interesting and thoroughly enjoyable. It is a book to sink yourself into.


This is one of the darkest novels I have read and it will stay with me for a very long time. It is written for a young adult/teenage audience: perhaps young people's tolerance for the message - that life is pointless - is higher than mine.

That is not to say that I would not recommend the novel; on the contrary, it is my choice to go through to the next stage. The only reason why I put it aside at times, was when I could not bear to read on. I often had to brace myself before reading what I could see was going to happen next.
Events take place in a small town ant the action starts when Pierre Anthon walks out of class declaring that school, indeed life itself, has no meaning. His peers set out to prove him wrong and destroy their youth, their hopes and their innocence in the process.


My winner is Nothing.


No comments:

Post a Comment